When trying to figure out what is the best type of foods to eat, it is too easy to say meat, fruit and veg; and in the wrong portions can still leave you out of balance and out of shape.
All foods provide you with energy as I am sure you are aware – however, some foods provide more energy than others and some release their energy faster than others.
This energy is measured in calories, and the energy usually comes in the form if sugar.
So you may be able to guess that muffins and cakes and chocolate will carry a lot more sugar than lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. This one is easy; but how can we figure which foods release sugar faster than others!!
Well back in 1980, Dr David Jenkins developed the concept of Glycemic Index, a system in which Carbohydrates are ranked from 0-100 according to how quickly 50g of the specific food raises the sugar levels in the blood. High scores are given to foods that are rapidly digested and absorbed whilst lower scores are awarded by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption – producing a gradual rise in blood sugar and insulin levels; thus having proven health benefits.
Low GI foods help control weight as they help control appetite and delay hunger.
Thanks to science, we now have foods that have a GI of more than 100. That’s right; we have now developed foods that raise sugar in the blood FASTER than actually consuming sugar. Awesome!! Lets increase obesity and diabetes just that little bit further!
It’s amazing how we cannot recycle card and paper in the same box but we can destroy the lives of millions of people by creating foods that will kill us. Thanks guys.
So here is a list of common foods that you can eat in abundance and other foods you should leave just for your cheat days.
GI: All You Can Eat Foods
Hearts of Palms
The above foods are so low on GI, that they will not raise blood sugar high enough or fast enough to become an issue. Even on a low carb diet for those with high Subscap & Supra Illiac readings, the above foods contain so much fibre that the stomach isn’t big enough for them to be an issue.
6 Servings A Day
Nuts & Seeds
Foods That Will Lower Your GI by 30%
Dills & Sweet Pickles
For a full and comprehensive list of Glycemic Index foods, please press here.
- Plan ahead, prepare in advance and try to keep the sugar content of your foods low.
- Eat small and often and learn to distinguish the difference between a handful and a shovel!
- Stop when you are full, not when you have a licked the plate dry.
- If you can’t help but finish your plate – use a smaller plate.
- ENJOY!! You need to enjoy your foods – you’re gonna be eating them for the rest of your life so it needs to fit in with your life.
- Eat smart, eat healthy and exercise 2-4 times a week. .. 4 being better than 2!
- You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. Nutrition plays an 80% role.
Good Luck & Happy Feasting!